Live To Write!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favorite Words (Freewrite 3)

+2
jxl33
cbehling
6 posters

Go down

Favorite Words (Freewrite 3) Empty Favorite Words (Freewrite 3)

Post  cbehling Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:01 pm

Cellar Door
I think this is self-explanatory, but a cellar door is the door to you cellar, or basement as it can be called. In my opinion, and the opinion of many other people, the combination of the words cellar and door have a beautiful sound. If one tires to entirely forget their meaning and say just the words, they truly roll through the mouth and off the tongue sweetly. Yes, it’s easy to think a basement door is ugly, but try to forget about the image it conjures. Just focus on how the words sound coming out of your mouth, or someone else’s.

Irrigation Ditch
Trench designed to bring water from one place to another in order to make access to water for agriculture easier. This is, in my opinion, another amazing combination of words. Again, forget what an irrigation ditch actually is. This is a much harsher version of cellar door, yet its structure is equally fun to say and listen to, in my mind. As light and fluid the first word was, this is equally harsh in its sound.

Chinua Achebe
Author of Things Fall Apart from Nigeria. I truly enjoy this man’s name. Chinua Achebe. Just like the other words in rolls so nicely out of the mouth. Not only that, but in order to say his full name, you pretty much need to smile as you finish saying it.

cbehling

Back to top Go down

Favorite Words (Freewrite 3) Empty Re: Favorite Words (Freewrite 3)

Post  jxl33 Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:33 am

Chinua Achebe, I enjoyed Things were Falling Apart. I thought his name was really cool to say too and one of our friends was nicknamed Okonkwo.

jxl33

Back to top Go down

Post  MaryShelley Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:36 am

I love the idea that cellar door and irrigation ditch share the relationship you claim!

MaryShelley

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:37 am

I found the annotations for these amusing. It's obvious what these things mean, but your request that we ignore the negative images and instead think of the melodious sound to get a different sense of the word. Interesting sometimes how different you think of things when you hear them than when you read them, or when you take the meaning instead of an image in your mind.

Admin
Admin

https://live2write.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MrX Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:38 am

I see what you're saying about the harshness of the words. Interesting choices. You do smile when you finish saying Chinua Achebe Very Happy lol!

MrX

Back to top Go down

Post  elephantastic Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:41 am

I love your method for choosing words. They really do have interesting sounds when you stop to say them with no meaning attached. Also, I completely agree with your Chinua Achebe rational, I used to like writing his name in my essays because it sounds and looks so cool.

elephantastic

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down