Live To Write!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Freewrite 4: My Name

+2
MaryShelley
Sarah Seko
6 posters

Go down

Freewrite 4: My Name Empty Freewrite 4: My Name

Post  Sarah Seko Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:26 am

To understand my name, I need to go back a generation. My grandparents, George and Annabelle, had the brilliant idea of combining their names into one: Georgianna. My mother hated it. While other girls had cute names like Cindy and Kathy, she had this ten letter monstrosity of a name. (Personally, I like it, although I am not too big of a fan of naming your children after yourself). Because of her own name-hatred, my mother insisted that my siblings and I all received painstakingly normal (and Biblical) names. John, Steven, and Sarah. Although it is quite common, the need for a nickname never arose. Then I came to Olin. Last weekend, at the OCF retreat, there were four Sarahs in one cabin. We made up one quarter of the population. The need for a nickname has come. Unfortunately, nicknames are much more elusive than you might expect. At least that is what it seems like at the moment. A few names have been proposed: Gecko because it rhymes with my last name. Lucy, short for Lucifer because the sign my SIBB made for me could easily be misread as “Satan” rather than Sarah. Origins aside, I wouldn’t mind Lucy. Gecko would be fine with me as well. So far, neither of them have seemed to stick. For now, I am perfectly content with the confusion that comes with Sarah.

Sarah Seko

Back to top Go down

Freewrite 4: My Name Empty Re: Freewrite 4: My Name

Post  MaryShelley Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:42 pm

This is such a beautifully composed Freewrite, Gecko! Sadly, a pop-up is blocking your grandparents' combined name, but they sound like creative people! It's funny to me how we tend to do things in reaction to our own parents, when we become parents...

MaryShelley

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:16 am

I like Georgianna, actually. But that aside, the nickname occasion is amusing. I would like to see this Satan/Sarah sign. It sounds quite humorous. Was it devilishly themed, or just the script on the poster was difficult to read?

Admin
Admin

https://live2write.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Freewrite 4: My Name Empty Gecko

Post  LEit Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:19 am

Nice free-writing. It flows quite nicely goes through your name well. It's interesting that you like the name Sarah although it is so common. Some people really dislike having common names, so nicknames sprout up faster. I guess you have no need for one. I am all in favor of Gecko though.

LEit

Back to top Go down

Post  KenInGA Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:23 am

I agree about the Georgianna... monstrosity is a good way to put it. Georgina, maybe, but only if you're Italian.

I definitely see how the need for a nickname would arise from duress at having 4 Sarahs in one cabin... I recall having 6 Michaels in one class. Fortunately none of their last names started with the same letter, so it was just "Michael T.," "Michael P.," "Michael G.," etc and so forth...

KenInGA

Back to top Go down

Post  elephantastic Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:26 am

I vote Gecko!
I love your grandparent's couple name, it's adorable. Are these the same set of grandparents who you were loosely basing your manuscript on?? They seem adorable.

elephantastic

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down